This recipe is a great twist on the English Shepherds Pie/ Cottage Pie, I am not really sure what the difference is, but which ever one is on the menu I always choose it. It is ideal for home cooking and entertaining as it is a little different and takes people by surprise. It can be classed as Vegitarian as you will see from the ingredients, but alot of people will believe that they are eating mince meat, so it is an ideal recipe when you have a group of friends around for a meal which include vegitarians.
- 175g Puy Lentils
- 100g Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion Chopped
- 1 Leek Sliced
- 2 Large carrots chopped finely
- 150g Squash Chopped Finley
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce puree
- 3 tbsp tomato
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook lentils in a pan of boiling water with stock cube for 20 - 30 minutes until soft.
- Cook potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes until soft.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan and cook onion until soft.
- Add leeks cook for 5 minutes until just starting to go soft.
- Add carrot and squash, continue cooking for a further 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Cover pan so that the juices from the vegetables do not evaporate.
- Stir in the cooked lentils, then add the soy sauce, tomato puree, herbs and enough cooking fluid from the lentils to make the mixture moist but not sloppy.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Spoon the mixture in to an oven proof dish.
- Cover with mashed potatoes
- Bake in pre heated oven 180ºC(350ºF) for 30 minutes or until the potato is crisp and brown.