BROWN RICE V WHITE RICE




I found this nutritional chart on wikipedia.org whilst trying to find out if brown rice is healthier than white rice as recent headlines seem to be telling us...

I like both , depending on what is being served with it, I would always choose white rice with a curry for example.

I find brown rice more satisfying ie. I don't feel like I need something else to eat after a couple of hours, it has a completely different taste to white rice, the problem I had when I first started to use it was that I couldn't cook it without it ending up in sticky mess, didn't look very appetising at all !!! But fortunately the internet came to the rescue and that is not now a problem, I always end up with lovely looking brown rice to serve- 'Cooking Brown Rice'


Nutritional  Value per 100g of cooked rice.

Calories 130 111

WHITE RICE                                                 BROWN RICE

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1% Calcium 1%
Iron 1% Iron 2%  
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-6 5% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 3% Magnesium 10%

As you can see there are fewer calories in cooked brown rice,  more Magnesium,  
Potassium,  Dietary Fibre, iron , fat , sodium, and Sugar  but less carbohydrate and slightly less protein.

So at the end of the day it all depends on which diet you are on….



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.