Honey and Almond Griddle Cakes
These little healthy cakes are quick and simple to make, I particularly like them because you don't have to use the oven. Almonds are grown here on the island, so there are always plenty around, although I did notice that one of the Almond orchards had been affected by the forest fire that we had in the summer of 2007 which did a lot of damage to the west part of the Island, but fortunately things seems to be getting back to normal and it doesn't seem to have affected the supply of almonds.
There is also an abundance of honey on the Island, each district of the Island produces their own local honey, so you there is a wide selection to choose from, we all have our favourite's of course and it's great to be able to play around with them in different recipes.
The ingredients you will need for this recipe are as follows:-
- 150g Runny Honey
- 80g Tahini
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 150g Wholemeal Flour
- Put the honey and tahini in a mixing bowl and blend together well.
- Add the ground almond, again blend well.
- Add the flour a little at a time making sure that it is mixed in well, until you have a sticky but workable dough.
- Put the griddle on to heat up to 150c degrees.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured board, and roll out to ¼" and cut into 1" -1¼" rounds. Using more flour when needed.
- This mixture will make around 50 little cakes.
- Place them on the griddle a few at a time.
- Cook on each side for 3 minutes.