To make good soup you need to make good stock, it's healthier and better to make your own.
Ready made stock, stock cubes or powder can be used, but it really is better to make your own.
To make your own stock you will need:-
- 1 Onion
- 1 Leek
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Celery Stick
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 L Water
- Roughly chop onion, carrots, leek, celery and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Very gently fry the chopped vegetables, the more you cook the vegetables the darker the colour of the stock will be.
- Add the water and the garlic and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 45 mins.
- Strain and use as required.
Many different vegetables can be used, but keep in mind that beetroot will turn the stock red, cabbage & broccoli tend to give the stock a bitter taste.